Luther House in Wittenberg
The former home of Martin Luther is now the largest Reformation history museum in the world.
It was originally in 1504 an Augustinian monastery. At that time still known as the ”Black monastery” which played on the cowl colour of the Augustine monks. Martin Luther also lived here as a monk from 1508. Later he lived here with his wife Katharina von Bora and their chlidren. Today the Luther House is the largest Reformation museum in the world and is on the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites.
The Front build, erected in the middle of the 1580’s was called Augusteum in memory of the sponsor of the University, August the First of Saxony. In 1844, the Luther House was thoroughly renovated for more than 40 years. Until 1937 there was a Lutheran school on the ground floor.
The permanent exhibition at the Luther House offers you an encounter with the time of the Reformation. Approximately 1000 original exhibits not only tell the life and work of the reformer Luther, but also his family life and his influence on history. The exhibits include for example manuscripts, charts, printed books, furniture, coins and the pulpit from which Luther preached at the Town Church St. Mary's.
April - October:
Daily: 09:00 a.m. – 06:00 p.m.
November - March:
Tue - Sun: 10:00 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.
Adult: 8,00 €
Reduced: 6,00 €
school students 5,00 €
Group ticket (10 people or more): 6,00 € p.p.
Family ticket: 14,00 €
combi-ticket Luther House & Melanchthon House: 10,00 €
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg