Cranach Houses and Courtyards
The residential and workplace of Lucas Cranach were Renaissance courtyards in the middle of the historic center of Wittenberg.
The residence at “Markt 4” dates from the Renaissance period. The famous painter Lucas Cranach the Elder ran together, with the book publisher Christian Döring, a printing shop here, where among others the Bible was translated and reproduced by Martin Luther known as the “September Testament”.
Between 1517/1518 Cranach acquired the largest court yard in Wittenberg in the Schlossstrasse 1, to expand his workshop. After he was given the privilege to run pharmacies, he traded here with paper, paints, sugar, wax, sand stone, and spices. Today both houses are listed buildings and attract visitors with arts, crafts, and culture.
Entrace fees of the exhibition Cranach House, Markt 4
adults: 5,00 €
reduced, groups: 4,00 €
children (6-16 years): 0,50 €