Torgau – City of the Renaissance and the Reformation
Discover countless monuments, impressive Renaissance buildings and important Reformation history in the Saxon town of Elbstadt.
For a long time, Wittenberg was the mother and Torgau the nurse of the Reformation because without the protection and support of the Saxon Electors, who had been reigning from Torgau, Luther's ideas could not have been implemented.
Residence and renaissance city
The Saxon town of Elbestadt, only a short one hour drive away, has preserved many splendid buildings of this period as a former Saxon town center of the 16th century. Today it is one of the most beautiful renaissance cities in Germany, with more than 600 individual monuments. Already Martin Luther stated in his speeches: "Torgau's buildings surpass all beauty from ancient times, even the temple of King Solomon was made of wood."
Katharina von Bora and Torgau
It has been proven he was in the city around 60 times, which became for his wife Katharina von Bora the first station on her way to a bourgeois life. A Torgau landlord helped her and other nuns escape from the monastery of Nimbschen near Grimma and took her to Wittenberg after an intermediate stop in Torgau. Torgau also became Katharina's last stop. She died here after a road accident and was buried in the town church of St. Mary’s, where her grave is still visible today. Her death house now houses an exhibition that deals with the biography of this extraordinary woman. Further authentication places, the first Protestant church building, personally consecrated by Martin Luther on October 5, 1544, or the former superintendent, in which the Torgauer article - the basis of the Augsburg Confession of Faith - were created, can still be visited today.
Situated on the outskirts of the historical old town, the Hartenfels Castle is the most important castle of the German Frührenaissance and was long regarded as one of the most modern residential buildings in Saxony, even when the court already resided in Dresden.
Tel. 03421 70 140
Reformation Jubilee 2017 in Torgau
Sound & Faith - Johann Walter and Georg Spalatin in the priest´s house
In the restored priest's house the music of the Reformation, marked by Johann Walter, will come to life on 21 May 2017 through exhibits and sound experiences.
Torgau. Residence of the Renaissance and Reformation
On the basis of selected exhibits from the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden, the exhibition presents the importance of Torgau as main and secondary residency of the electors of Saxony in the 16th and early 17th century.
Stable. Bibelfest. Drinking feast: Johann Friedrich the Magnanimous - the last Ernestine Elector
The permanent exhibition in the electoral chambers of Hartenfels Castle, which will be opened on 10 September 2017.
Feast for the consecration of the chapel, 5th - 8th October 2017
The opening of the castle church by Martin Luther as the first Protestant church building on October 5, 1545, is commemorated with concerts, theater, light installations and historical market activity.